January 18, 2009

Thrice, Fifth Album, Track Eleven

First admission of the day- I have a moderate-to-absurd love affair with the band Thrice right now. About 10% of the lyrics are a little silly, but as general lyricists and songwriters, there are some FANTASTIC things going on in this band. It's also a band with material so diverse that everyone can find something to listen to. I could probably get my Mum to listen to tracks off of their Earth, Air, and Water EPs, but I can also blast the entire Artist in the Ambulance album so loudly in my truck that I knock a few screws loose. Since I have been listening to both that album and Vhiessu (which, side note, I think is a fantastic album name as a mis-hearing/spelling of "Wie ist du" in German), this may explain why Ginny (my truck) is a little crankier than normal as of late. 
Also, who writes songs in iambic pentameter? And who does it for the last track on each of four element-themed EPs, which happen to have the same melody in different keys? Come ON. The Alchemy Index project is just brilliant.

Anyways, enough lauding and laurel-laying, on to life.
Yesterday was rough, but I had a fantastic time with the folks I live with and some people who came over last night. I am apparently better at Texas Hold'em than I used to be. It was also re-affirmed to me that I can usually imbibe enough to knock a standard person sideways and still be completely unaffected. It's a good thing I don't ever drink to get drunk. 

I went hiking in Forest Park yesterday, and I am so glad that we have been blessed with some sunshine this weekend, even if it was 30 or 40 degrees in the forest. It was so beautiful. I need to spend some more time in Forest Park, and some more time seeking the quiet that can be found there. I was going to go the beach this weekend, but hopefully the weather will hold out next weekend as well and I will be able to take a trip and spend some more time in peace, searching my heart and soul to find what I am looking for. There is a lot to find.

A friend told me last night that "The measure of our yieldedness is the measure of our usefulness." I'm going to take that to heart.




Wake and feel your worth, O my soul
Speak the word, the word that can save us all
Awed by Grace, I fall on my face
And scream the word that can save us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment