January 16, 2009

Paramore, Twilight OST, Track Two

Some songs are simply fun to play, and some songs, when I play them on my guitar, just move me to tears. They become channels of emotion. This is the beauty of song.

I said in my last post that I really appreciate raw honesty in music. Tragedy can be so beautiful if we take the time to search for it, and to realize that the ability to feel is a fantastic gift in itself. As much as we hate experiencing tragedy in our own lives, to see it expressed in other mediums can be key to release. It's one of the original forms of drama, and it is a common theme in all lives. I often find it impossible to voice my own tragedy, even and possibly especially when I try to write songs or short stories or poems or the like. I've found myself confounded in the past because the song I felt my heart wanting to write had already been written by someone else. This particular song is one my heart wanted to write, but the words are already written down.

The beauty of recorded music is that when you are all alone, singing by yourself, or playing piano or guitar or anything you can get your hands on, in the right key or not, with the proper rhythms or without, you can OWN that song if your heart wants to write it all over again. If your heart can claim it, it becomes yours and you have every right to scream it from the mountaintops, to feel it and express and proclaim its truth. Lawyers be damned, in that moment you have written that song. 

I hope each of you have moments where your heart finally finds its voice, even if the words are borrowed. 

We're gonna make such fools of ourselves.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to bloggy-land Bro! I agree with you, "Lawyers be damned!" Ha! I think the soundtrack to Sound of Music is my voice. :-)

    ReplyDelete